Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I called around the valley today and the cheapest psyciatrist available I found was $600 for the first visit and $150 ongoing for having no insurance. I tried getting a referral from my primary care dr. None of them will call me back. My psy. dr wrote me a letter saying he closing his practice. Is it advisable to go to Mexico to find a psy dr.
Print the post Back To Top
Would you consider an opinionated jerk instead of an actual doctor? I'm available for online counseling for only $2.99 per minutes.

xtn
No. of Recommendations: 3
I called around the valley today and the cheapest psyciatrist available I found was $600 for the first visit and $150 ongoing for having no insurance. I tried getting a referral from my primary care dr. None of them will call me back. My psy. dr wrote me a letter saying he closing his practice. Is it advisable to go to Mexico to find a psy dr.

You might try talking to these folks:
https://helppayingthebills.com/healthcare-services/free-and-...
The web site indicates sliding scale payment for uninsured patients. I have no direct knowledge of these folks.

I've never gone to Mexico for medical treatment. If you go that route, try to get references from people who have used that provider.

I feel for you. Arizona is ranked 50th for mental health care access. Texas, too, has very poor mental health services.

Regards,

- HCF
knows more about the topic than he cares to
Is your psy. dr. not giving you a referral?
I called the doctors listed on the letter he gave me the cheapest one was $600 for the first visit. I contacted my primary doctor and still waiting to find out if it cheaper.

I contacted the mental hospital that admitted me 12 years ago the center near where I live is not taking new patients either.

I still waiting to see if one of the other providers calls me back with a cheaper rate.
Tried a provider today. Paid $250. Demand blood work. Don't want to do. Demand done yearly. Dr REFUSED to give RX.
Tried a provider today. Paid $250. Demand blood work. Don't want to do. Demand done yearly. Dr REFUSED to give RX.

I’m not a doctor but I would reconsider the blood test. Getting reduced cost mental health care is a blessing. They are trying to help you.

Regards,

- HCF
just some rando on the Internet who’s been down this road before.
No. of Recommendations: 1
HCF says "reconsider the blood test.

I agree.
And, to save money, consider using the walk-in blood test services, or an online / mail-in service.

Google "discount blood tests". There are several options.

Good luck on your journey.
🙂
ralph
No. of Recommendations: 4
I am not a doctor, but I can understand why one might refuse to write a prescription without a blood workup.

Fuskie
Who thinks if the issue is money, it is worth the price, and if the issue is privacy, he literally trusts his doctors with his life...

-----
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Hain Celestial (HAIN), Royce Micro Capital Trust (RMT)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
No. of Recommendations: 1

This post is unclear. The doctor is demanding blood work and you are refusing? Why would you refuse blood tests? Overall health should be a concern before a prescription is issued.
My regular psy. dr never made me get tests. I was so upset I stop taking my meds for 2 days. I just have a concern that I might have to pay the fed on income tax and might get a refund on the state. I was at walmart seing thing I thought this guy was going to kick my butt for paying cash for the waffles I bought. Last time I was at walmart returning an item this lady assulted me in the store I complained to the manager why aren't they calling the police on her. I talked to the former psy. dr. he said he wasn't making me get blood work because I been stable taking my meds and he didn't need to adjust the meds.

I don't have health insurance. I collect $133.34 a month off my pension for the rest of my life. I make money in the stock market timing the market and cashing out take the profit. My dad isn't making me pay rent. I do buy his meds buy he does have insurance.
No. of Recommendations: 14
I was so upset I stop taking my meds for 2 days.

That's not good to do. You need to take them every day.

I talked to the former psy. dr. he said he wasn't making me get blood work because I been stable taking my meds and he didn't need to adjust the meds.

And when you go to a new doctor, the new doctor doesn't have that history. So it was completely reasonable to request a blood test before writing you a prescription. Go back, get the blood test, and take your meds.

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 9
did get bloodwork today. Trying to get in to primary care physician to get an order for an EKG. Did get taxes done.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Good for you, mtr. I realize that even fairly straightforward things can be very difficult when you are also managing a mental illness. I am glad that you continue to try to get the things done that you need to do, and cheer for you when you have successes.

ThyPeace, knows it's a hard road.
Did get taxes done.

Frankly, I'd rather have blood drawn any day.

Fuskie
Who hates needles...

-----
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Hain Celestial (HAIN), Royce Micro Capital Trust (RMT)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
No. of Recommendations: 2
Did get ekg this morning. Waiting for a bill from Labcorp.