Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Is there any minimal amount where you don't have to file an amended return? I didn't see anything in the instructions.

Nope. There's no minimum. But on the other hand there's no LAW that says you ever HAVE TO file an amended return. (IRS Pubs and form instructions don't count.) An amended return is an administrative device that the IRS created to let you fix a mistake, and stop interest and/or penalties from accruing, or make a claim for refund in a format they can deal with. (A "claim for refund" IS provided for in the Internal Revenue Code.)

As a practical matter they don't send out a bill for less than $10, that I've ever seen. The threshold was $5 for a long time, and that was a fairly poorly-kept secret.

I received a late 1099-DIV. It resulted in an additional tax liability of $30 (line 6 of 1040X). At the same time, there is a $29 foreign tax credit (line 7). Therefore, I owe $1 (line 19).

Since you've already prepped the 1040X, go ahead and file it. It might save you some grief, since it's possible when they run their matching program 15-18 months from now, they'll assess you for the $30 tax, but not give you credit for the $29, since you didn't put it on a Form 1116, or elect to claim it without filing the 1116.

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.