Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Is there any simple way to figure out state residency from this info?

1. Let them hire a tax professional.

2. If irasmilo responds, listen to him. There are a whole boatload of state issues fairly unique to NY and NJ. He is somewhat familiar with those.

3. Barring either of those, my best guess is it sounds like he's a resident of NY and she's a resident of NJ. So they would file non-resident returns in both states.

I also seem to recall there might be some kind of agreement between NY and NJ regarding people who live in one of those states and work in the other. I have no idea what that might be, just that it might exist. If it does exist rather than just being a figment of my imagination, it may or may not apply to this situation.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.