Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Last month I withdrew about $5500.00 from my IRA to cover some short term expenses. The financial crisis is now over and I have $5500.00 to place back in my IRA. Can I simply deposit this money back in the original account and avoid the early withdrawl penalties at tax time, treating this short term "loan" similar to an IRA rollover? If not, haow should I go about minimizing my tax penalty?


P.S. I am not in the habit of doing this with my investments, this was indeed a short term financial crisis!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.