Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I get symptomatic relief from coughing by taking Robitussin or its store-brand equivalents. But I don't like it that the active ingredient is delivered in a substrate of high-fructose corn syrup and tinted with food dye. I looked for it (dextromethorphan) in pill form, but the only ones I could find have it mixed with other stuff I didn't want (Mucinex or a drowsy-causing antihistamine).

My naturopath ordered me some capsules of nothing but dextromethorphan from a compounding pharmacy (a pharmacy that does custom formulations).

Here's where I run into uncertainty. The pharmacy doesn't make stuff directly for patients -- there has to be an order from a doc (naturopaths can write prescriptions in my state). So it's a prescription item in the sense that I can't get it for myself, but it's not on the list of drugs that you need a prescription for.

I'm leaning toward taking the deduction. Opinions?

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
I get symptomatic relief from coughing by taking Robitussin or its store-brand equivalents. But I don't like it that the active ingredient is delivered in a substrate of high-fructose corn syrup and tinted with food dye. I looked for it (dextromethorphan) in pill form, but the only ones I could find have it mixed with other stuff I didn't want (Mucinex or a drowsy-causing antihistamine).

My naturopath ordered me some capsules of nothing but dextromethorphan from a compounding pharmacy (a pharmacy that does custom formulations).

Here's where I run into uncertainty. The pharmacy doesn't make stuff directly for patients -- there has to be an order from a doc (naturopaths can write prescriptions in my state). So it's a prescription item in the sense that I can't get it for myself, but it's not on the list of drugs that you need a prescription for.

I'm leaning toward taking the deduction. Opinions?

Without doing research to support my position, I would maintain that the cost is deductible because you can only obtain the formulation you need upon the doctor's presciption to the compounding pharmacy. I think this is analogous to high-strength, prescription versions of OTC drugs such as analgesics. You could get the same medical benefit from multiple pill doses of OTC (nondeductible) analgesics, but if you use the prescription strength version, it's deductible.

Ira
No. of Recommendations: 0
I looked for it (dextromethorphan) in pill form, but the only ones I could find have it mixed with other stuff I didn't want…

This doesn't really address your question but…

I also searched for DM tabs or capsules without success, though I did find a brand that includes DM and guaifenesin, which is okay for me. After all, at those times when I need a cough suppressant, I can probably also benefit from the mucous-thinning effects of guaifenesin.

I suspect the main reason no company wants to make it is because of the problems of DM abuse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recreational_use_of_dextrometho...
No. of Recommendations: 0
I also searched for DM tabs or capsules without success, though I did find a brand that includes DM and guaifenesin...

I suspect the main reason no company wants to make it is because of the problems of DM abuse.

Guaifenesin is the active ingredient in Mucinex. Although most people tolerate it well, it makes me feel crappy. And I didn't know about the abuse potential of DM. If you drank enough Robitussin to get stoned, the high-fructose corn syrup would give you diabetes.

--fleg