Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Is this normal?

Exceptionally normal. In fact, I can't recall a situation where a physical check wasn't sent.

Why would it require a physical check?

They might be willing to wire it - for a fee. Since your 401k company makes the rules, they probably don't want to deal with the hassle and the liability of an EFT.

I don't recall physical checks being used when I moved my own 401K 7 years ago, nor in her previous small rollover 20 years ago.

I can assure you that if you did not get a check from a rollover, then you very likely paid a wire fee.

Not sure why they can't simply convert all to cash at the end of a specific day and electronically send it to an authorized account.

Lot's of IRS reporting issues with such transfers and I imagine that there is a significant fraud risk when there is not a clear paper trail. I sometimes have to provide written certification for clients if they fund an account without a clear paper trail as to where the money came from. I doubt your broker would automatically know that the check came from a 401k vs a roth 401k vs simply a taxable account. That sort of coding doesn't really exist within the EFT system.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.