Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I got an e-mail, like this. I had been using Verizon e-mail until Verizon bought AOL and discontinued their own e-mail.

Hi jeandavid,

We hope you are enjoying your improved email experience since switching to AOL.
We are committed to protecting the privacy and security of our customers so we're
writing to inform you that your current third party email application is not using the latest,
secure mail connection settings. In order to continue sending and receiving your
verizon.net mail via your third party email application, you must update your connection
settings by November 7, 2017.

Please visit our help site for instructions on how to update your settings.

To avoid having to make changes in the future and to ensure you are using up-to-date security
settings, we recommend that you download the AOL app or use mail.aol.com to send and receive
your AOL Mail. [I am not willing to do that.]

For more information, visit our FAQ page.
Sincerely,
AOL Mail

Instead of selecting the link, I tried to get in touch with AOL, but their on-line chat is closed, and their e-mail servers to which I could send them e-mail is closed too.

I looked at my e-mail settings and they are what they had told me to use in the past:

POP port 995; SSL/TLS
SMTP port 465; SSL/TLS

Now they say

AOL Supported Configurations:
Protocol Server Settings Port Settings
POP3 Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net

Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.
POP3 - 995 - SSL

SMTP - 465 - SSL
SMTP - 587 - SSL / TLS

Now the only difference is to use port 587 for SMTP instead of port 465. But if I do that, it will not send e-mail: it just hangs. It does not send it; it does not complain. It just hangs. If I change the port back to 465, it works. With SSL/TLS protocol.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.