Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Today I came across this quote: If you add to the truth, you subtract from it.
The quote was attributed to "The Talmud."

That's a bit vague, given that the there are two Talmuds, and that Talmud Bavli is divided into six sedarim, each of which has as many as a dozen tractates.

But after Googling around a bit, I was unable to get a more specific source.

Does anyone know where this quote comes from?
Print the post Back To Top
Not sure of a specific source, but it seems like a paraphrase of deuternomy which tells us not to add or subtract from the torah.

silencer

Today I came across this quote: If you add to the truth, you subtract from it.

Is it akin to "too much information"? :)

Mark
http://www.daat.ac.il/encyclopedia/value.asp?id1=497

Right. "Kol hamosif gore'a" is a common Hebrew saying. I've never seen it refer in particular to "truth". It's more like a general expression that is used to tell someone that he's talking too much. Adding more explanations will just hurt his case. Or you can tell a Yiddishe Mamme not to add any more food to your plate because kol hamosif gorea.

Elan
Kind of like the expression that I heard a salesman use "when the customer is sold, stop selling"

silencer
המוסיף על הצריך גורם לחיסרון - סנהדרין כט, א

Thanks, c!

Doing a google search search on "Sanhedrin 29A" add subtract finds many references, usually with slightly different translations. ("Anyone who adds subtracts.")

Since I'm saving the quote in my "big file of interesting quotes," I'll note the source as "Babylonian Talmud, Sanhedrin 29A."