No. of Recommendations: 2
Is tjberko still around?

I was wondering if he still owns any of this MDLX.

I do, and I got hammered this past year.

If I can afford to hang on until maturity (which I can), think I'll end up with the 25 par?

Mark

From 2016...

No. of Recommendations: 23
MDLX is a 10 year exchange traded bond with a 6.875% coupon and par of 25. It is a recent IPO and now there is a secondary offering on it. Apparently the underwriters have no retail customers so they are dumping it on the market creating an excellent buying opportunity at $24.20.

Reasons to buy:

1) Bond goes ex-dividend 46 cents in a couple of days
2) Over the next 3 months you will collect 90 cents in dividends and once the dumping ends, it can easily trade at 24.68 giving you an additional 50 cents in gains. Over 3 months, the annualized return could be over 22%.
3) It is rated by Egan-Jones as A- and yet has a yield to maturity of 7.7% so it is very safe and crazy cheap. Checking other bonds like Hasbro, with only a BBB rating and 24 years to maturity yields only 4.75%. 10 year bonds of this quality generally yield around 4.5% while MDLX yields 7.7%. Look at PBB, a BBB- rated exchange traded bond. It sells for 25.80 and has only a 6.25% coupon versus 6.875% for MDLX.
4) I am not highly worried about higher rates, but being a bond means that you will receive at maturity more than you paid, so no interest rate risk if you hold it. Preferreds could be decimated if higher rates do occur over the next 10 years.

Disclosure - I own a ton of MDLX
Egan-Jones is the rating agency that doesn't get paid by the company to rate its stock, so no conflict of interest.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.