Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Great story this year. Ended last year poorly and lost their star player, then ... had a great season. So many good teams in the East this year, and ..... Carolina? ... one of the final two. Really?
Print the post Back To Top
NHL could have 7-8 in East & West to play in Conference Finals to play for Stanley Cup...

while the league they’re competing against for ratings dollars (NBA) has 1-2-3-4 competing in both conferences showcasing their BEST TEAMS!!!

Gary Bettman has totally ruined the NHL where ESPN with
Beach Volleyball competion has better ratings than the NHL...
No. of Recommendations: 3
Sorry, I can't see the NBA as the better product. It gets better ratings and is a more approachable / relateable game (all kids play it sometime, but not hockey). NBA has shown that the regular season and probably first rounds of the playoffs are meaningless. How is that 'better'?

Now ... should the NHL play just 60 games and get to the playoffs - yup. But fan bases in cities that make those playoffs have something to root for, and this is only true of a couple NBA teams. This year has too many upsets, but upsets are necessary for a sport IMO.
there has to be some sort of advantage to playing a 6 month season and finishing in 1st place...

MLB might have the best idea, 2 wild card teams play a 1 game playoff then re-seed with 3 division winners and wild card winner...

a guest on Toronto’s The Fan had interesting concept on why NBA consistently has best teams playing in finals..he said NBA rests players throughout the season so they’re ready for playoffs..just looking at the 2 best players on the two Toronto teams...

John Tavares (Leafs) played in all 82 games...

Kawhi Leonard (Raptors) sat out 20 games this season...he never played both games of back-to-back games...is some road games where they knew he wasn’t going to play, he was sent ahead to next city on trip...
I find it much more entertaining to have a postseason in which any time can win any series. This year has been particularly brutal for the 1 seeds, but hey, if you can’t take advantage of the home ice you fought 82 games to get, it’s your fault.

The fact that the NBA has had no lower seeds advancing in the first round is an argument AGAINST the NBA playoffs, not in favor. Give me parity and unpredictability any day.
It's simple - what they used to do before stooping to the stupid wild card system.
1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs 6
4 vs 5
No. of Recommendations: 1
1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

Prefer the set up with the rivalries.

Who would you give #2? Washington as a division winner or Boston with 3 more points? If the former, then … Columbus still plays and beats Tampa, and Carolina still plays and beats Washington. You would not have Boston - Toronto in the first round, and maybe not at all. That bubble teams can and do beat division leaders is not a 'format issue'.
First round:
TB vs CBJ
Boston vs Carolina
Caps vs Pitt
NYI vs Toronto

http://www.espn.com/nhl/standings/_/group/conference
if Colorado and Columbus win their series, the Top 9 teams in points and all the teams with 100+ points will be eliminated in 1st two rounds...

someone explain to me how this is good for hockey???
No. of Recommendations: 1

Because we don't all live in Tampa.

4 teams that did not make the playoffs last year, Dallas, St. Louis, Carolina, and the Islanders, not only did so this year, but won a round. Calgary did not win a round, but did win the division.

So, for the 15 teams that did not make the playoffs this year, that is a reason for ALL of their fan bases to show up and be encouraged about next year. That is good for Hockey.

Tell me how it is good for a sport to make the playoffs, but …. really have no shot of advancing?

I'll concede that if every year is like this, that could be a problem, but … if it just happens sometimes. Great.
First round:
TB vs CBJ
Boston vs Carolina
Caps vs Pitt
NYI vs Toronto

You may get that Boston Carolina series you want after all.
"someone explain to me how this is good for hockey???"

I can't. But how is it BAD for hockey? And who cares? I'm not on their payroll. I like watching the Bruins but why would I care if hockey expands and they get rich? LOL.
31 teams is already ridiculous.
if Colorado and Columbus win their series, the Top 9 teams in points and all the teams with 100+ points will be eliminated in 1st two rounds...

Just to follow up. They did not.

The second place teams in each conference, Boston and San Jose, may well meet in the final. I'd like to see that (I like the Blues too, but …. I'd rather Boston faces Jones in the opposing net).

And another thing, to compare to the NBA. There was not a single 1st round upset in the NBA. Not even a 4-5 matchup. Boring. How is it good for a sport when the last few teams that 'make the playoffs' are considered foolish for doing so? You don't get that in Hockey, or Football, or MLB. Maybe the NBA should just take fewer teams like MLB.

Was it bad for the NFL when the 2007 NY Giants backed into the playoffs (needed a team to lose to earn the slot), then beat the undefeated Patriots to win the Superbowl? Sure it required an impossible play …. but … that happened.

Ralph (Giants fan in NE).