Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jM6aBRPdyh...

The survey, conducted for Israel's Ministry of Diaspora Affairs, found that 63 percent of respondents believed those converted by non-Orthodox rabbis should be regarded as Jews. Some 30 percent believed they should not.

According to one source I consulted, 8% of Israelis are Haredi, and 17% Modern Orthodox.

So apparently some 5% of non-Orthodox Jews only recognize Orthodox conversions. (But these numbers are so close that the statistic may be meaningless.)

The poll also found that 68 percent of Israelis said Diaspora Jews who intermarried should be regarded as Jewish, while 21 percent said they should not.

I'm very curious to know who those 21% are. That surprised me greatly. There's no halachic basis for disenfranchising a Jew just because he or she married out.

I wonder if those 21% are ultra-nationalist, but secular Jews? If they're mostly Haredim, it speaks poorly for their adherence to Jewish law.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.