Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
It could be "other income" if you have a regular job, and consider what you get as incidental income.
If you consider yourself an "information provider" or something of that sort, you could use Schedule C instead. I note companies who want you to pay to get on their list of people to be surveyed, so if you go with those folks that would be expense you would deduct from the honoraria you get for taking surveys. If you are buying your computer on time or paying for your ISP, filling out schedule C would let you take some deductions. The advantages of considering yourself in the business of providing information would be ability to deduct some expenses and also allowing the income to be "earned" so you would pay Social Security and could make an IRA contribution assuming you are under age 70 1/2.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.