Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
It ended?

Well, I hit the back cover - so it had a literal end at least.

It felt as if it just stopped. Or if you call it an end, it was more like the end of an act, like there was going to be another book.

Yes, it could have easily started up with the next installment immediately after that

Spoiler Space

Yeah, that's a good idea.

Ok Joe comes back after his son pushes him into a publicity stunt. Sam's work had degenerated because he needs Joe to bring out the best in him. Joe's work is good, but he needs Sam to make it great. So Sam leaves to figure out himself while Joe has to stop and figure out where he fits in his new family. Sam leaves a buisness card Stamped Kavalier and Clay.

Indicating that they would one day be working again?

Don't forget Joe spent a good chunk of change to buy Empire comics - which made Sam's departure even more unsettling.

Also the Golem is back, but it is nothing but dirt having been away from its home in Prague for to long. I'm pretty sure Chabon is trying to make a statement there, but juxteposed against Sams bugging out to California I am not really sure what he is trying to say. I haven't given it all that much thought since I put the book down.

I'm not sure I liked the inclusion of the Golem in the story. With the rest of the story being based pretty firmly in reality, I'm not sure why he added a pinch of mythology in there in such a manner.

And I surely don't know what to make out of the Golem's turning into dirt.

I did really like the book. There were some great touches. Like the bit about Young Joe's drawing of Rosa that sold to Julie being exhibited as the work of a young Julius Glovsky in 1971 (yea, I have the book in front of me now)

I liked the book as well.

There was a passage where Joe explained why he liked comic books, with their inferior color separation, their cheap paper, their ads for air rifles, etc. I thought Joe really hit the nail on the head.

I think the book worked well, but you are right about the end. The only thing that I can think is that Chabron is thinking about making a sequel in the Silver Age of comic books. Personally I am sick of sequels. Probably due to the WOT series and its many derivative spin offs (Such as Goodkinds' Sword of Truth).

I have heard that Salvatore has improved with his latest Forgotten Realms book - don't know if that's saying much.

Your points are valid; sequels seem to just be a chance to try to take away any enjoyment you got for the earlier installments. :)

Now if you liked this book give Sewer, Gass & Electric by Matt Ruff a try.

I'll check that out; thanks.

-Ortman
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.