Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
It is a frankly depressing scenario and backs up what I posted earlier.
I hope Applefoot reads this !!!

Hi Harmy, JR.

Depressing I guess if you have spent most of your life in NZ. It is never a good feeling to see a country which you admire greatly or have called "home", seem to be losing its able population. But NZ is not alone.

The irony is that just as the world is getting more and better connected via internet it is also getting more connected physically and that makes it inevitable that people will want to live and work more elsewhere. One aspect of this for English-speaking nations at least is that as English has become the lingua franca of the world it is so much easier for its young people to function almost anywhere without the drawback of learning a second language....at least to start with.

My feeling after reading the article, is that NZs time will come again. Maybe not for a while yet and maybe not until the economy is made to pick up a bit, but I detect in those interviews a definite desire to keep links with and maybe even retire back to the mother country.

In the meantime JR, I would not complain too loudly about the Kiwis taking over parts of your patch.......I could mention a few places in London where I could say the same of the Aussies........bless'em.

Just glad to be a free man and to be able to live and travel just about anywhere I choose. We have come a long way in the last 50 years in that respect.

applefoot
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.