Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
It. Is. Finished.

Many thanks to all of you Fools who have been helpful along the way. Your feedback and input have been invaluable. I'm definitely walking on Sunshine today, but have to keep it brief because of current overtime.

Wow, that's 4 months before you had anticipated. Great job! Glad you're still able to get OT, and apparently the side hustles are doing well.

That said - it's not that it's finished - it's just that you're now on a different journey - one to increase your net worth by increasing assets, rather than paying down debt.

Focus on putting money into an emergency fund, putting money away for those irregular expenses, and funding your retirement (including getting any/all employer matches that you may be eligible for).

AJ
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Good job!
It. Is. Finished.

Many thanks to all of you Fools who have been helpful along the way. Your feedback and input have been invaluable. I'm definitely walking on Sunshine today, but have to keep it brief because of current overtime.

Wow, that's 4 months before you had anticipated. Great job! Glad you're still able to get OT, and apparently the side hustles are doing well.

That said - it's not that it's finished - it's just that you're now on a different journey - one to increase your net worth by increasing assets, rather than paying down debt.

Focus on putting money into an emergency fund, putting money away for those irregular expenses, and funding your retirement (including getting any/all employer matches that you may be eligible for).

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 13
YYYYYYAAAAASSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what happens when I'm away from the boards for a few days -- something awesome happens and I'm the last to know. Congratulations on this major HUGE milestone!!!!

I hope you have spent the last few days just basking in the glow of Awesomeness. This is one of the few financial accomplishments in life that has a lasting impact on a person, I think. Much more than that little incremental "hey I got a raise that amounts to $25 every paycheck" stuff that is the more usual stuff of finances.

Now, I almost never disagree with AJ, but I will comment on her reply to you:

This is actually reasonable advice.. But -- I want to know what YOU want to do with your funds. Maintaining financial discipline is genuinely important, and part of that means figuring out what YOUR most important goals are. We are all in different stages of life with different important upcoming events -- so what do YOU want to work on next? Maybe it's exactly what AJ said, but it's okay if it's a variant that works better for you.

The rest of this is just my own somewhat meandering path, which is not a suggestion of things you should do, but a broadening of the possibilities you can use to brainstorm your goals.

After I paid off the first layer of ugly debt, I wanted to max out my 401(k) (and later my TSP and later also max out the catch-up contributions), help my husband max out his TSP once we were married, get our two-mortgage household down to one mortgage and eventually no mortgage, do several renovations on the remaining house, meet the commitments we had made for all the kids' college, and build toward FIRE (Financial Independent/Early Retirement). We have since made it through all of those goals as well, and have chosen the FI route rather than the RE route.

And we have had the freedom to do some things we never considered before. We took the time to revamp our health. I lost more than 60 pounds, DH lost more than 80 pounds. We both work out regularly, and have muscles where there was just flab before. We eat a far more healthy and satisfying diet. That took a huge investment of our mental and physical resources that we could not have done while life was a tiger trying to eat us for lunch.

That led to another shift in goals -- one associated with continuing to build our own stability while helping our community in ways that are important to us (primarily around reducing obesity, improving nutrition, and reducing food insecurity). I've had the freedom to pursue certification in nutrition coaching and have begun a side hustle/second career doing that.

And we have small luxuries that make us happy. We have a lady who comes to clean the house every other week, leading to much relief for the whole household. We can afford to take piano lessons, something that gives both me and my husband a great deal of satisfaction. We don't worry about the cost of regular visits to family... or didn't, before Covid. Now those trips are much curtailed and we are none too happy about it.

But we have the freedom to consider spending the entire month of December with my dad, with only negotiations with my ex to deal with before we do it.

This is all possible because of the ongoing discipline we have applied to all aspects of our lives. Your path will surely be different, but it can be just as much fun as you continue to apply laser-focus to the things that you want most.

ThyPeace, this is the stuff that I have been resisting saying for a few months now, just in case you were wondering.
Thanks very much for the continued encouragement.

While there is much to consider, I am just basking for now. The echo of "WE'RE DEBT FREE" is still ringing loudly and I want to take a little time to just breathe and feel the sun on my face. At the moment, I feel the need to NOT reflect too heavily on the past debt journey. I'm also not ready to mentally invest in formulating future plans as they relate to finances. Not yet.

Right now, I just want to bask and coast for a while before refocusing on the next phase. At this point, I just need a mental pullback. We will continue with extreme frugality and overtime to the extent it is available. We WILL earn above our living--that has been the key-- and cash WILL accumulate. I'm just not prepared to plan for every single dollar as feverishly as we have been...for the moment. Accumulate now. Plan another day. That day may be the first of the year, possibly sooner.

My next non-financial projects will focus on mental and physical and marital health. The debt free journey has taken a significant toll on each. I won't dwell on those here.

Financially, things on the horizon will continue to force our hand.

1. Fully funded E-fund. I will be happy with the low end for now, so three months expenses is the goal.

2. I'm feeling really uneasy about our tax situation for this year. I feel the need to let cash accumulate and brace for a large bill. "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best." We have never had any issues, but I'm nervous about this year. We need a tax guy.

3. Our roof will be an expensive job and will become more emergent within 3-4 years.

Those are some issues to tackle, and they will further delay investing for retirement. We are 50yo and can't afford any more delay, but, as the Afford Anything podcast says: "You can afford ANYthing! You just can't afford EVERYthing!"

OK, time for a mental break and some Sunday family time! Thanks again!!!
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm really impressed. You set an ambitious goal, and achieved it despite setbacks. Congrats!

My next non-financial projects will focus on mental and physical and marital health.
Good. OK to put some things on the back burner temporarily, but not for too long.

...feeling really uneasy about our tax situation for this year.
Lemme guess: your side hustles didn't withhold taxes. If you calculate your taxes in February, that gives you two months' notice to come up with the money due. Given what you've accomplished so far, you'll be able to handle that.

Enjoy your mental break and some Sunday family time!

Cheers,
YG
No. of Recommendations: 3
My next non-financial projects will focus on mental and physical and marital health. The debt free journey has taken a significant toll on each. I won't dwell on those here.

Financially, things on the horizon will continue to force our hand.

1. Fully funded E-fund. I will be happy with the low end for now, so three months expenses is the goal.

2. I'm feeling really uneasy about our tax situation for this year. I feel the need to let cash accumulate and brace for a large bill. "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best." We have never had any issues, but I'm nervous about this year. We need a tax guy.

3. Our roof will be an expensive job and will become more emergent within 3-4 years.

These are more than enough for your next few months. Put 'em in a spreadsheet and start to watch where they go. Just update yourself every couple of weeks and observe for now. The E-fund (along with continuing the debt numbers) will keep you from losing ground, and the rest will move you forward.

And yes, coasting and remembering how to breathe are important.

Resources:

Mental health:
There are hotlines if you need immediate help -- don't be afraid to call them. If you need longer-term assistance, counseling can be really beneficial. And also expensive; work it in to the budget if you need it.
Eckhart Tolle, _The Power of Now_
Thich Nhat Hanh, _Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames_
Steven Stosny, https://compassionpower.com/emotional-abuse-treatment/
The Dalai Lama, _Ethics for a New Millennium_

Physical health:
Diet: www.precisionnutrition.com
Movement: Jerzy and Aniela Gregorek, _The Happy Body_, https://thehappybody.com/

Marital health:
A counselor can be really good here, too. Also, you've just managed to quit doing one thing that really harms a marriage, which is building up debt. Shifting to a new model can be really hard on everyone, too. Having a counselor help you work those things through can be helpful.
David Schnarch, _Passionate Marriage_ (graduate level reading, and absolutely amazing stuff)

Disclosure: I was once a relationship coach in training and many of the books referenced here were materials in that course. I am now a certified through Precision Nutrition's coaching certification program. The above may not be right for you -- they are just tools I used along the way.

ThyPeace, a little ahead of you on the journey.