Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
It is legal to allow for in service distributions. However, very few plans allow for them. You will have to check with your HR department and ask them for the plan document. It will state if inservice distributions are allowed. If they are, they often times are only allowed for money that you may have rolled into the plan from a previous plan. Or, they may allow for in service distributions once you reach age 59 1/2. Sorry, but in most cases your best option is for you and a few other employees to lobby the employer to improve the plan by offering better investment options.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.