Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 15
It is nice to see 'marriage' acknowledged as the ONLY valid form of romantic relationship.

If civil unions are not good enough, then "im shacking up with my boyfriend' is fraudulent for sure.

There is a silver lining after all.

Why, Jedi. I thought you Republicans were for individual choice and individual liberty. I'm surprised that you could write such a thing.

There are many valid forms of romantic relationship, from simply dating, to living together to marriage. Often, these are steps in a process during which a couple gets to know one another well enough to be able to commit themselves for a lifetime with a clear understanding of what they're committing to. Are you suggesting that we should adopt the Muslim tradition of marrying off kids to people chosen by their families? After all, dating is a form of romantic relationship, and, according to the view you express here, isn't valid at all. If one has no opportunity to get to know another person well enough to promise to love them for the rest of one's life, one might just as well marry a complete stranger, mightn't one?

What you so delicately call "shacking up with my boyfriend" is precisely how my husband and I decided that we wanted to get married. Had I never lived with Peter first, I never would have consented to marry him. How could I? How would I know that we could live together and love one another over the long haul if we hadn't been willing to show one another our true selves -- a collection of little pieces of information which only reveal themselves when you've lived with someone for a reasonable length of time?

Now, you may not find this process helpful, yourself, but since you're a Republican and devoted to the concept of the individual's right to freely choose his or her own path in life, I should think you would hesitate before making such absolute assertions about what is and what is not a "valid" romantic relationship.

But, then, I've noticed, many Republicans don't really mean half of what they claim to believe, anyway. Maybe you're one of those.

SLL
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.