No. of Recommendations: 1
It is noticeable, but it is part of the story. It isn't preachy and it doesn't try to convert the reader.

fwiw, I got a library copy and agree with this completely...that said, the book is written in a style that I found infuriating at times and I couldn't get past 70 pages or so before skimming. Some brief comments:

*the book is like a love van in the 1960s with drugs in the air and various people in the van doing their thing and conversations and this and that and if you think you'd like that, then this is the book for you

*ever been to a restaurant and a group of teenagers uses the F word and S word and other words repeatedly and you both worry about the fate of humanity and whether the parents despair that any sort of maturity shows up? If you are the teenagers this again is the book for you.

*plot? where is it? The first 1/10th of the book features one character being introduced in a ship to various folks and it is talk, talk, talk, talk, and more talk. Talk with food, and various food descriptions and species descriptions and personal descriptions and room descriptions and....could you just get with it. There are VERY long passages on this book that you can absolutely skip and not miss a thing. And it is all emote, emote, and emote to the point where you just want to scream - this is one of those books where you know during every single page and every word and every chapter that a very young woman is writing the book (which is fine, but no one should be least surprised that the author is from California, and I can't think of a single author I've read where I could tell immediately where she was raised).

it was apparently self-published, and IMO the author went on WAY too long, never editing a thing, as she clearly has some talent but if you've ever read Alan Dean Foster's earlier stuff imagine him writing a book and padding it with 4x as many pages as he does - that's what you get here, but again if there is a plot in these words I never found one.

Course, as noted this is an "award" winning book with surprises me zero iota. It fits in very well with Gardiner Dozois (RIP) mantra that you award books and stories that do odd things and are written in a certain way but ultimately and 95% unreadable. Maybe you will feel different...but don't buy it - get it from the library instead.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.