No. of Recommendations: 0
It is possible and may well be a good idea to move your old 401k to Vanguard. To do this you contact Vanguard and tell them you want to do a rollover. You also contact the custodian of your old 401k and tell them also that you want to do a rollover. Vanguard sends you paperwork, you send it in. The old 401k custodian also will have some paperwork for you. The only trick is do NOT have the check made out to you; it should be made out to your new custodian.
Probably it will take from several weeks to several months to accomplish the transfer. By then the market should be in better shape...
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.