Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
It is quite difficult to know where to start, because actually the evidence for Jesus is so massive that, as a historian, I want to say we have got almost as much [good] evidence for Jesus as for anyone in the ancient world [Obviously there are some characters from the ancient world for whom we have statues and inscriptions. On the other hand, we have statues of gods and goddesses in the ancient world too, and so you can never be quite sure. But in Jesus' case,]the evidence all points firmly back to the existence of this great figure in the 20s through to around 30 of the first century. And the evidence fits so well with what we know of the Judaism of the period (even though much of it was eventually written down a generation later) that I think there are hardly any historians today, in fact I don't know of any historians today, who doubt the existence of Jesus. . . It is quite clear that in fact Jesus is a very, very well documented character of real history. So I think that question can be put to rest.
(in Flew, "There is a God", 2007, p187-88 )

I don't know why you take such a hard line against Jesus, but you are out of step with scholarly opinion.

-------------
Excuse me, but the bolded phrase is IMHO clearly and demonstrably an enormous exaggeration. There are thousands of figures from the ancient world of whom we do have contemporary witnesses, correspondence, written works... People of whom we have images, who have left physical traces still for us to see and touch and who have a grave.
I suppose that that final statement (about all historians agreeing ) can therefore be taken with at least as many grains of salt.

I've gone back and filled in the ellipsis for you (bracketed material) . . . hope you are happy now.

But since you disagree that historians almost unanimously accept that Jesus existed, you should be able to provide info on the scores of historians who don't??
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.