No. of Recommendations: 1
It is when I hear things like this that I am inclined to agree that money can be the root of all evil. Ok, maybe not all. Just half. Krispy Kremes is the other half.

ANYWAY, my family is very weird about money. My father is a cheap b@stard. I love the man, but it is the truth. He used to joke with me that he had to open his wallet very slowly. Why? Because if he opened it too fast then the presidents on the dollar bills may keel over because of the light.

When my brother was moving into his house with his wife, he could not afford a bed. He asked my father for a daybed he and my mother had in a spare bedroom. My father soundly told him "no," "uh-oh," "no way," and "never."

Although it may not sound like much, the fallout from this event was tremedous. This sent a tremor through my family, though, and, now, everyone knows that asking for a "gift" is off limits. I HATE TO SAY IT, but I think the same applies to your mother. If she is asking for a gift, then it is not a gift. And I can't help but think that it is nothing less than emotional blackmail.

I feel for you, and I hope the situation resolves itself with little ickiness ensuing. And, yes, I do love and adore my parents.

Wednesday
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.