Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
It is with this that I de-lurk and introduce myself to the board. I used to think of myself not so much as an aspiring writer, but as a "wanna be" writer. After reading a few books on writing and in particular King's book, I have been forced to admit that I don't deserve to call myself any kind of writer at all. I lack commitment. The only writing I do is to these boards and emails to my friends. I have taken a couple of writing courses in the past but I have absolutely failed to follow through.

I'm going to lurk some more, attempt to become inspired, and then commit. It may only be 20 minutes a day but if I commit and like it who knows where that will lead?

Thanks to Hook for the review and to everyone for the inspiration!

P.
who can't imagine a life devoid of a copy of Strunk and White.

You've got me scratching my head here, P. I've read your posts elsewhere and you do write well. You make your points and I click on your posts knowing that it's not going to be something the dog barfed up a la PA. You're selling yourself short.

So let's talk about commitment. You say you don't have it yet I'll bet a donut to a dollar if there's a subject on a TMF board that gets you wanting to reply you will. Ah, you say, but that's fun not commitment. P, that's the whole enchilada and that's why I say if you feel you have to write 20 minutes a day to become A Writer you'll bore yourself to tears and probably wipe out a growing talent. My advice, send out more e-mails and continue writing on the boards.

Tell you what slowed me in the beginning: writing and editing simultaneously. Don't. Write first, edit later. So dump the Strunk.

The other thingy is 'to what level do you think you should write and what level of writer do you think you are? The reason that some freeze up when sit to write is that they think they have to write above the level they are because the reader either expects that level or they won't be able to express themselves fully. Don't do this either.

Writer's Top 'O the Week: if it either is hard to write or bores you then it will be hard to read and it'll bore the reader. So, P, what's your passion? If it's flying fishing then don't force yourself to write on plumbing. Plumbing, unless you are a plumber or have a clogged toilet, is boring, boring, boring. Fly fishing written by a fishing nut is fascinating.

It's more than writing what you know but writing that gets you tingly all over. It is makes you tingle then odds are it'll make the reader tingle.

Since I'm on a roll here, a few words about schlock. It amazes me that many don't realize that the reason publishers print schlock is because people love reading schlock. How many copies did Harlequin sell last month? Don't know but I'll bet whatever they printed sold fast. Biggest selling newspaper in North America isn't The New York Times but The National Enquirer If I were to go back into professional writing again I'd write for the romance market – it's hard to write for, most schlock is – but the readership is fantastic. The contracts are the pits and that's why I probably wouldn't do it yet for sheer volume a title Her Secret Lover does damn well.

But don't sell yourself short, P.

MichaelR

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.