Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
It just became the right time.. I'd been there nearly 40 years, liked what I was doing in many ways, but new pressures, , less qualified help, management was hiring for checkmarks, nit actual qualifications, and then, as I'd not expected it, they made an 'Offer', if taken, added monthly dollars I hadn't expected, soI made the jump.

Nearly 62 years old, I had to take a hit on SS, but DW was still working, we made it happen. A bit tight the first year as I spent it sorting out all the bits and pieces of stock shares collected over the years of Bell System breakups and mergers, while all the while resisting taking a lump sum settlement of the 'offer' to force them to deliver on the promised annuity..

Fellow retirees gave in, took the cash, I think I was the only one, at least in my area, that forced that annuity setup. Down the line as we moved to other companies, the pension survives, but has been merged into one from separate amounts due to the annuity, toss in other investments, rolled into VZ, T, and APPL, dividends added up a bit, more than expected, allowing us to do quite a bit of travel... Until Covid.. But I've been out nearly 20 years, still relatively healthy...

We once had a SS seminar, advice was, from the local SS representative, was, if possible, take retirement as early as you can, 62, if possible as there is no guarantee you'll be there at 65, in my case it would be 65+8 months for full retirement.. Made sense, we wanted to travel, and I was pretty much done with the job. if I stuck around I'd be living out of a suitcase even more than before, didn't rally want to re-train new managers to my needs, my old timer, long time managers, supervisors had already been pushed out, it was time to go...

Fun while it lasted, great people, places, projects, but..

weco
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.