Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
It looks to me like if a "rebate" was available but is not claimed on the 2000 return in time to be paid by the end of calendar year 2000, and then no "credit" is available based on the 2001 return, the taxpayer *lost* their $300/$500/$600.

What are you basing that on? Everything I've seen indicates that if you don't get a rebate, for whatever reason, that is at least as much as the effect of the 10% bracket on your 2001 tax, you can claim a credit on your 2001 return.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.