Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
It may be that I just have to deal with the fact that the fee we pay gets us access to better funds,
No it doesn't. The only funds that I would consider to be this way are the DFA funds --- and only arguably those. He doesn't have access to funds that other FAs don't.

Maybe the best approach is to see if there is another FA at that company, one who does more than throw a formula at our total family of accounts,
There isn't. It is not possible that the company will let their FAs just go off and do their own thing. The company won't let any of their FAs deviate from the company guidelines. And for sure one of those required guidelines is "the formula".

What I really would love is a financial adviser who is the total package, understanding the need to balance returns with taxes, how to manipulate the accounts to provide the best of all worlds, how to position what we have now in it's current form for optimal retirement investing and spending.
I'm sure that FAs like this do exist. Bad news is, they are unavailable to accounts less than $50M-$10M or more.

Really, think about it. You are paying maybe 1.5%-2.0% annual fee. On a $1,000,000 account, that's $15,000 to $20,000. How much detailed personalized advice do you think you can get for what amounts to a starvation wage?

That's why the only advice you'll get is cookie-cutter advice.

he is the one with the alphabet soup of designations after his name, while I'm a simple at home mom....who knows how to read.

Which of you cares more about your financial situation, you or him?

Have you considered paying some FA $1000 for an hour or two of his time, and then tell him exactly what to say when you and DH go into a meeting with him?
That would be cheaper than paying him $15,000 per year to get the same cookie-cutter investment advice that you could get for free from Money Magazine, or the WSJ or the NYTimes or Vanguard.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.