Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
It occurred to me that if the Rule Maker portfolio loved CSCO, NOK, SGP, INTC and KO at the prices that they bought them at, then they should really love them now that the prices have dropped further.

I have heard this saying many times before and it has aways bothered me. The reason is that often when a companies price drops substancially it is due to a change in the companies environment, prospects even fundimentals. So with that said, the company is also different than when it was purchased. So maybe in these cases it is not the same company they loved at the higher prices.

I am annoyed that TMF Rule Maker port is dropping their big losers in what appears to be an attempt to make the port look better. No 60%+ losers for the world to see. In the case of Yahoo! I really don't see any change in the company from their last purchase on March 2001.

http://www.fool.com/portfolios/RuleMaker/Trades/RuleMakerTrade_yhoo010302.htm

So what you are saying about loving a company at these prices would be true for Yahoo!

The selling of this one (if they do) leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. This is a company that was tailor made for the Rule Maker metrics and always turned out Top Tier numbers. By selling this Rule Maker at such a loss is a vote against the Rule Maker system. I really have to take a hard look at what they are preaching with this apparently flawed approach.

On the bright side it seems this RM is a work in progress and if it can be revised to account for past mistakes all may not be lost.

Kevin
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.