Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 9
It quite plainly is xenophobic and racist.

It certainly may be for some people. Perhaps most people

But let's do something here. Forget the fact that it's an Arab company. And forget the fact that you're turning over the operation of our ports to a foreign government.

Honest, forget it.

Would you not have some concerns if you found that some of the guys who flew the planes into the World Trade Center Towers worked for a particular private company, and that that company was about to take over the ports of the US? How about if you found that that particular company had been involved in money laundering and funding other terrorist operations in other parts of the world? How about if you could trace some of the money which the Towers flyboys used while in this country to the same banks (controlled by and) used by that private company over the years.

Would you not be at least a trifle concerned? And even if the principals of that company promised (Oh, I promise I promise I promise) that they're really on our side, even as they hamper US criminal investigations into some of their own citizens, wouldn't that cause you some concern?

Even if they were White Anglo Saxon blond haired blue eyed Swedes or something?

It would me.

Further, suppose that in the course of the "secret" negotiations you got them to agree to certain things which they had not heretofore agreed to, like the ability to check their hiring and other safety records, and which you had not previously asked of any other company doing the exact same job - and then you turned around and said to people "No, this doesn't cause any concern for national security, and we don't need a further review by Congress or by anyone".

Wouldn't a logical question be "Then why did you change the rules on things which appear to directly impact National Security? What was the sudden impetus to have investigative abilities where none were previously required? Or was that part about "You don't need to worry about security" just a cover for "Let's get this deal done fast."?

I'll say again, I'm sure there are lots of people who are against this on a visceral level just because "they's a-rabs." I happen to think that there's more going on under the sheets, and reacting only to that segment and pretending this is all racism at work is wrong, too.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.