No. of Recommendations: 0
It "forced" them to give priority to vacation in Hawaii. Whether or not it would have been cheaper to rent, it worked for them. They chose wisely enough that it wasn't a problem selling the timeshares.

If you need to be forced to take a vacation in a certain location and are willing to pay a premium over market value for the privilege, then yes, I suppose it could "work" for you.

I'm glad it worked out for your friends, but as we've seen in this thread, the resale value of timeshare points for the most part is very close to, if not actually zero, and maybe even negative. The reason is simple. The maintence and cleaning fees are at best a slight discount or possibly more than what you'd pay at an equivalent property. And that doesn't include the upfront cost of the points.

And you have much less flexibility. For example, last year we booked a trip to Hawaii through Worldmark 13 months in advance, which is the earliest you can book. But we were put on waiting lists and didn't get our preferred location and dates until about three months before. We are currently on waiting lists for January 2020, again starting 13 months out and still don't have our preferred location and rooms confirmed.

If someone had given us the points, it would probably pencil out. Buying them? I don't see how it does.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.