Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
It seems pretty prominent to me.

So you manage to get pricing? That still seems to be the hard part.

IP
Print the post Back To Top
Not seeing the quote you put in your post at the link you provide.

IP
No. of Recommendations: 1
Not seeing the quote you put in your post at the link you provide.

</snip>

Yeah, I posted an old link. Here's the new article.

https://www.vox.com/2020/11/23/21591193/amazon-pharmacy-prim...

intercst
Can Amazon unlock lower drug prices? That looks less likely. Existing companies like GoodRx already offer the same kind of discounts on drugs Amazon is now proposing.

From your second link. Seems as though there's not much they can do right now beyond gather data to see if they should increase investment.

IP
Walmart has used prescription generics as a draw to get people in their stores for years. (Low margin groceries is probably the same game.)

Walmart offers 30 day supply of many generics for $4; 90 day supply for $10.

This is nothing new. Drugs generate regular traffic for retailers.

It's always been the draw for drug stores who sell high margin goods in the front of the store.
ip posts,

<<Can Amazon unlock lower drug prices? That looks less likely. Existing companies like GoodRx already offer the same kind of discounts on drugs Amazon is now proposing.>>

From your second link. Seems as though there's not much they can do right now beyond gather data to see if they should increase investment.

</snip>

No. I'm not an Amazon Prime member, but it's my understanding that the price comparison app is now active and Amazon is selling drugs by mail with a 2-day delivery.

The innovation is that the Amazon app allows one to easily compare the insurance company price with the Amazon price online before you buy. That's much more convenient than dealing with a drugstore.

The peckerwoods at Walgreens won't tell you the price until they've put the pills in the bottle. Then they get pissed when you tell them to stuff it and go elsewhere for a cheaper price. It's a tremendous waste of my time dealing with them.

intercst
No. I'm not an Amazon Prime member, but it's my understanding that the price comparison app is now active and Amazon is selling drugs by mail with a 2-day delivery.

We are. DH could not find this option on the Amazon site.

IP
DH could not find this option on the Amazon site.

I couldn't find any price comparison app, either. Maybe it appears once a medication is prescribed and ordered? Otherwise, if it's there, it's well-hidden.

Pete
No. of Recommendations: 3
DH tried to access the system but is finding it a Royal PITA. Have to join Pillpack and enter in your info, come "dangerously close to ordering" before they will give you pricing. Plus it's only 30 days at a time for prescription whereas he gets essentially 90 days worth for the price of 60 through insurance. He does use GoodRX at Costco which can result in cheaper prices for some prescriptions.

Might have promise down the road, but not for us at this time.

IP
inparadise writes,

We are. DH could not find this option on the Amazon site.

</snip>

https://www.amazon.com/primerx

intercst

IP
Interested in this thread, as I'm going on ACA from a Cadillac Cobra,

I was thinking of trying GoodRX although I'm not sure what data they gather and how their business model works.

But I'm a prime member, hmmm

nag
Ah

Posted before reading this

DH tried to access the system but is finding it a Royal PITA. Have to join Pillpack and enter in your info, come "dangerously close to ordering" before they will give you pricing. Plus it's only 30 days at a time for prescription whereas he gets essentially 90 days worth for the price of 60 through insurance. He does use GoodRX at Costco which can result in cheaper prices for some prescriptions.

Might have promise down the road, but not for us at this time.

Pillpack is just a plastic garbage dumper to the earth and seas. (Through it's consumers)

nag
Buy 1 pill reminder container, reuse and refill - they are cheap and reuseable.

This is what Amazon says. I have not set up anything in regards to their pharmacy. It works for me, though there are a number of meds that they apparently do not carry or at least have listed.

The best way to find out a medication's price is to go to Amazon.com and use the product search bar to find the medication. From there, you'll see the lowest price available without insurance, including any savings for Amazon Prime members.
The best way to find out a medication's price is to go to Amazon.com and use the product search bar to find the medication. From there, you'll see the lowest price available without insurance, including any savings for Amazon Prime members.

OK, thanks. I tried it this time and it's worse than I thought from DH's description. First of all it does not give you input based on your insurance this way, as advertised. You have to sign up with Pillpack for that, (though I don't know if that means you have to use their packaging.) But since we are aware people and know how much the searched medications cost us via insurance, we know that we are getting hugely lower costs via insurance and GoodRX.

Worse yet, when you put a medicine into the search bar, the search comes at you with a huge amount of semi related things you can buy. And worse yet, some of the things that came up were "lab grade" chemicals which required no prescription. I can see people getting very confused with that. I could find no way to limit the search to prescriptions only.

In theory this could be a great idea, but to me it looks like a poor rollout of a good idea contaminated with marketing overkill and could wind up a disaster if someone orders the wrong thing.

IP
I think it's great that Amazon is showing 120 million Prime members how much their private, for-profit health insurance sucks. Americans really need the education.

If Amazon is successful be careful what they will do once they are the dominant force in Pharmacy prescriptions. I remember a time when prices on Amazon were a fair amount less than what you could get in the stores (mostly not always) and the days where Prime members ordered on Friday evening and somehow by magic it showed up Sat or Sun morning. Those days are gone and have been for years, there are some exceptions but it's not the norm.