No. of Recommendations: 1
It seems that everyone here is in favor of not using a broker...no surprise, I am too. And I agree with what has been said. However I'd like to add one point...

Unless you agree to learn all you can, by reading books, posts, newsletters, magazines, etc., plug all of your money into an index fund or two. Even then, I would still recommend learning all you can. Th'aint no such thing as a free lunch, is true.

I would recommend that after you have read somewhat, and are becoming familiar with the terminology (and forgive me if I'm assuming too much - that you have no experience), then I would recommend determining the appropriate asset allocation for you. Stocks & Bonds, Domestic & International, Total Stock Market vs. S&P 500, Large & Small cap and Growth & Value (if so desired), specialty areas - Health Care, Energy, Precious Metals, etc (not recommending this necessarily, just pointing them out). And then, how much for each category?

Again, I'm not suggesting using a broker. To the contrary, I'm completely against it. However, I strongly recommend learning a bit about where you are putting your money. It's your money afterall, not mine, and not your brokers. We here are all faceless, and can only give our opinions.

Good luck - and I hope you have a good time doing this,
Ryan
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.