Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
It sounds from your description like you are getting ready to retire soon and are looking for assistance in managing your savings to provide long term reliable income over retirement years. If so, you need a plan, to include how to cover your forward household expenses, the best time to begin social security benefits, transitioning to Medicare at 65 and future years household income adjusted each year for inflation. A couple of other factors I'd suggest is because it sounds like much of your retirement savings is in taxable accounts (as opposed to IRAs or employer retirement plans), you'll also need to make sure you have adequate liability insurance on home and auto, as a major claim could deplete your taxable savings.

I'd suggest one of two approaches to getting this kind of information.

1. Go to https://www.garrettplanningnetwork.com/ and look for a fee-only financial planner near you. These planners will hold the CFP designation and most charge by the hour for their service. It'll cost you probably $2,000 to $3,000 for a comprehensive plan that will look at household cash flows, investment management, withdrawal rates over future years that integrate with Social Security, household risk management and setting up your estate to ensure ease of management should one or both of you get sick or die unexpectedly. The key here is this relationship is the least conflicted of any FP services. The drawback is these people tend to be very busy as demand for them is high, so be prepared to wait.

2. Go to www.napfa.org and find a fee-only CFP or CPA/PFS near you. Same form of comprehensive plan but this group typically is paid by charging your investments a fixed annual fee, usually .5% to 1% per year of 'assets under management'. Unlike the one-time hourly charge, this fee is charged each year, but it is free of commissioned financial products...something you'd want to avoid.

If you think you'd be comfortable self-managing once a plan is set up for you, I'd recommend #1. If you wish someone else to do the leg work and make recommendations, I'd suggest #2.

BruceM
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.