No. of Recommendations: 0
It sounds like this annuity is not set up as a qualified retirement plan (IRA) therefor you can not roll it over into another qualified plan. You can roll it into another annuity (1035 exchange) without incurring any tax consequences. But you may be hit with a sales charge from your current annuity. As most Annuity's have a decreasing deferred sales charge that usually last the first 7 years. Also, if your only getting 4% (fixed rate?) it may be worth the sales charge to get out and roll it into a variable annutiy which has some good sub accounts to get better returns. Matt
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.