No. of Recommendations: 0
It sounds like this is a 5305-SIMPLE, where your employer establishes the account and then directs your salary deferral to it, along with his/her match or, if he so elects, his non-elective annual contribution.

After the initial 2 year period, you are free to transfer your account balance to whereever you wish without penalty....including your traditional IRA or to your Roth IRA, although this will be considered a Roth conversion, meaning the amount converted will be ordinary income to you for that year.

You should be able to set up a 5304-SIMPLE account with your favorate brokerage and do a direct transfer, if you wish this amount to maintain its ERISA unlimited protection from creditors, something you'll not have if you transfer it to your traditional IRA, where it is protected from bankruptcy creditors up to $1MM, but is not protected from legal judgements.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.