Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
It sounds like you should wind up with a credit equal to the applicable percentage for your income times $1,000. If you don't, if you post the numbers from the 2441 maybe we can figure out where you went wrong.

I found the documentation for the 2441. Which doesn't help me, to be honest:

http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=185776,00.html

However, the problem seems to be that I also wouldn't know how to fill out the Form 2441 longhand either, since it only provides SPACES for two providers. I didn't have just two providers. Especially since I had two kids, with 2-3 providers each.

I cannot be the only person with this problem. But I'm rather aggravated with the issue.

What I'd LIKE is to get the full credit, with the providers down to two.

I paid a total of $8090 for the two kids for summer camp.

I paid $6147 for DS2 alone for daycare.

So those two numbers: $8090 + $6147 = $14237

$14237 - $5000 of money I had in the fund (and therefore can't count) = $9237.

If I have the $9237 and I'm capped at $6,000 for the $200 credit, (which I am), then all I really need is the TWO daycare providers, rather than the others.

Of course, my problem is that TT seems to be counting the $5,000 fund as another PROVIDER, which is not the case.

However, is it legal for me to only claim the daycare and the summer day camp (not sleep-away, day camp) on there and not the before/after care?

I just would like to do this legally and in a way that will not trigger massive amounts of paperwork and/or a huge delay in filing (which this would).

I have nothing to hide, I have extremely straightforward taxes, but there's a big difference between a 7-day e-file return and a 6-8 week paper file return - especially as there are currently delays anyway, so that could turn into months and months.

GSF
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.