Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
It sounds like you're in a really tough situation -- but doing wonderfully well, even with the student loan mess. You ARE making progress, you're keeping body and soul together, and someday you'll be on the other side of this thing.

My best advice to you: don't look at the cost-cutting measures you're taking now as something you're forced into -- think of it as a choice that you've made, because you'd RATHER be out of debt than be debt-ridden and eating in fancy restaurants and driving a car that you can't afford. This is a choice you have made, and the choice reflects your values. Plenty of people live way above their means, blithely racking up debt. You've chosen to put a stop to that. For a lot more on this subject, check out the very active "Living Beneath Your Means" board, which has a lot of great advice on living cheaply. Also, go to your library and check out Amy Dacyzyn's "Tightwad Gazette", a book that truly changed the way I think about money.

Let me second the advice about rehabilitating your loan. Call them, tell them you're serious about getting out of default, but that you're on a severely limited income. They have heard all of this before, and (assuming it's Direct Loans, private lenders may have different practices) will not yell at you; they will work with you to set up payments you can afford.

The very best of luck to the two of you! It sounds like you're on the right track!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.