Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
It took me 6 years to get my undergraduate degree, due to a combination of poor time management and change of major. I worked part-time jobs throughout, and my parents paid the difference, so I graduated without debt. (Of course, this was back in the dark ages when college didn't cost as much...)

So for our kids, to be fair, DH & I promised to cover 6 years of college. We figured they should be free to explore different options, find themselves, make mistakes and learn from those, etc. If after 6 years they were still in college, then completion was on them.

DD decided in high school what she wanted, and didn't change her mind. She completed both undergrad and grad schools in the 6 years allotted. DS had no clue, but did complete his undergrad degree in 4 years, graduating into the 2009 recession. No jobs here, so went abroad to teach English for two years (they covered room & board, so he came home penniless but at least not in debt), then headed to law school. We covered the first two years, he took out loans for 3rd year.

We weren't thrilled about the law school route. Lawyers are a dime a dozen, and there frankly aren't enough jobs for all of them. I accompanied my dad to his law school's annual "old guard" luncheons for a few years, which were ostensibly about fund-raising, but the Dean was frank that "Of course we're happy to get donations, but what we really need is job opportunities for our graduates. So if you have, or know of, a firm that can hire, please please please contact us." One broken-hearted professor related that his favorite student committed suicide upon graduation.
It was a competitive school, all their students were really the best and the brightest, but there were just not enough jobs. And the law school DS attended was 2nd tier, so of course we weren't optimistic about his prospects. But, his decision.

Fast forward:
- DD's profession pays OK, but not super well. She still likes the work, and makes enough to support herself plus sock away funds for retirement. And, outside work, she's very active with friends and volunteer activities, so all's well with her.
- DS is working for the local prosecutor's office, which pays little, but after 10 years on the job they'll pay off his student loans. He's happy to be there, because his first job was with a law firm that did boring work and then closed, leaving him unemployed for many months. His job now is both interesting and secure, albeit high-stress.

So yeah, a stretched timeline is frustrating, and I totally understand venting where your kids won't see it. Even though you're rightly blaming Covid and not them, things are hard enough for them with the pandemic on top of the usual challenges of launching that you want to be only supportive.

Best wishes to them. Sounds like they're doing what they need to do under rough circumstances. Mental health is important, and two years isn't a big deal in the long run.
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.