Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
It was a good article, but fell a tad short when addressing the benefits of competition. For instance, Ma Bell had a steady guaranteed stream of revenue from its utility services (phone lines). They would make money regardless. If they overspent, they simply put in for an increase to the then governing board. A manager who had the capablility of hiring could break his responsibilities up in 3, hire three people, and then watch them. Is its any wonder they ended up with massive layoffs? Microsoft is in an entirely different situation from Ma Bell and also from the Microsoft of a decade ago. They must compete with themselves. A decade ago to increase sales by a large percentage or even to MAINTAIN the same sales would not be that difficult since sales were significantly lower and the wave of the computer industry would carry their growth. Now, it is and will become increasingly difficult for them to maintain and grow. It will require innovation and great business sence. It will require cost control and a competitive nature.

All the hoopla around Windows 98 proves this in that most are saying take your time upgrading if you even ever want to--it's not that much better. Intel will go through the same--see my post on "What happens when fast is fast enough" (I think that's what I called it.

Leo
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.