Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
It would arise from complexity, not from additional bits of (slightly-conscious) matter.

Can you name anything else that arises out of complexity that has properties that are totally absent in the component parts? From complexity one can get enhanced properties but I know of no instance where a completely novel property emerges. Physical stuff that one can measure is completely different from subjective thoughts that cannot be measured. I don't see how one can get the subjective from the physical unless the physical contains elements of the subjective.

I cannot claim you are wrong, but I haven't seen any measurements of how much consciousness is associated with our sun (just to pick the biggest thing within about 4 light years of here). So I remain skeptical that the universe is in any way 'conscious' or self-aware, even as organisms within it may be.

To make this statement you must have some way of detecting whether some one or thing is conscious. I am curious to know what your "consciousness detector" might be.

That's EPR (among other things), and I think you mean the Bell Inequality (just being pedantic)...Those are really odd, to be sure, but not really new to me. I may no longer be in research, but I still try to pay attention to interesting things like that.

You misunderstood my post. I'm sure you are familiar with EPR and Bell. I was referring to a specific experiment colloquially called the Big Bell Test whose methodology was based on the assumption that human free will provides a greater level of unpredictability than mechanical or physical methods of randomization. From the Nature paper:

"...Bell himself noted this weakness in using physical setting choices and argued that human ‘free will’ could be used rigorously to ensure unpredictability in Bell tests. Here we report a set of local-realism tests using human choices, which avoids assumptions about predictability in physics... https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0085-3

It is a pretty cool experiment based on the premise that human behavior goes beyond simple determinism.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.