Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
It would be interesting experiment if at a young adult age, I would have put money from warranty offers into a "warranty" bank account. Warranty offers on cars, appliances, electronics, etc. Then any repair bills on a "warrantied" item would come from this warranty bank account. How much money would I have today?

That actually was my policy--bank all the money I *didn't* spend on extra warranty on things, and cover the repairs/replacements from that. I was able to cover the one cell phone that broke in seven, and when my $250 VCR broke, I just replaced it with a better one for $80 because they got so cheap in the next few years.

What I'd REALLY like to have back is all the money I spent on life insurance that I never even got to use...I paid for an extra 5X salary for many years due to having a large family and a non-working spouse. But, I couldn't be on the wrong side of that "bet."

I've done so much of my own auto diagnosis and repair work, even up through model year 2015. But now you need specialized equipment to even find out what the problem is when one occurs.

The last three key fob replacements I've done were on a 2002 and 2006, where I got a fob from Amazon and programmed using online instructions, and a 2009 that required a GM Tech-II (which I was able to borrow). But, those cars could be unlocked and driven with the key and the fob was only a convenience. My new car doesn't even require you to remove the fob from your pocket to unlock or drive...until something in that system breaks.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.