Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
It's been a couple of years, but we signed up on line. Easy-peasy. I was one year before FRA while spouse was right on FRA, and she did the 'restricted application', which means she gets 50% of my PIA while hers grows by 8%/year to age 70 then we have to go in person to switch over to hers....but you're saying all office visits are now kaput? Hmmm. That don't sound no good. We're still 1.5 years out, so I'll need to check early.

When we signed up no proof of birth certificate was required. We just answered a bunch of questions on-line and they sent us a couple of confirming e-mails we promptly responded to. No sweatsky.

BruceM

I also did the restricted application and got 50% of DH's SS and mine grew to 8%. There is NO place on the SS website that tells you how to handle the change! I had to call twice and got different answers on how to make the change!

Here is what I learned. Wait until 90 days until your wife is to turn 70 and call Social Security and make a phone appointment. They call you and they called me right on time and it took less than 10 minutes for her to ask me a few easy questions and explain what will happen. That's it!

Utahtea
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.