Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
It's going to be an interesting earnings release as beyond the iPhone there are some other interesting developments that need to be tracked including ...

* The iPhone - How has Apple's continued push into even more premium phone pricing has worked out? Are unit sales & revenue both great? In which case the iPhone X is a home run. Do unit sales & revenue diverge - i.e. there are fewer buyers, but those buyers are willing to pay more? That would signal moderate success for the iPhone X experiment. Are unit sales OK & revenue is in-line? Then the iPhone X may not have worked out as Apple hoped, or Apple has successfully established two-tiers (some folks moved up, the remainder bought 'better value' iPhones.) Given the rumor mill it should be interesting. If the iPhone X hasn't worked out quite as Apple planned, then we might see the X discontinued (it was a one year limited offer) & iPhone 9s that are developments of the X, but at 'regular' iPhone premium pricing (that'd almost be my guess.) Otherwise we might get an iPhone Pro (as John Gruber was proposing back before the X) & regular iPhones that are X-like but slightly compromised in comparison.

* The iPad - Last quarter looked good (within limits). Apple appeared to successfully establish a two-tier strategy - the Air & the Pros. In some respects this quarter is as critical for the iPad as it is for the iPhone, as if the iPad continues to grow it could guide iPhone development (normal & Pros.) If the iPad returns to declining, that could well throw Apples nascent two-tier strategy into question. And as the iPad is Apple's declared 'vision of the future' computing platform this is pretty important.

* Services - frankly I'd expect continued growth here - Apple Music appears to be a strong #2 in the market. So any low-non growth would be a pretty big surprise.

* Macs - I'm not expecting much detail, but any indications that the 'Pro' iMacs are doing well would be nice. The pro market isn't a big part, but it's pretty vocal & there are a surprisingly large number of 'I switched to Windows, it wasn't bad & performs better' articles. As a shareholder I'd prefer this to be snuffed out. There's also some interest around the Macbook Air with rumors that there'll just be a Macbook or two moving forward - totally logical. Any news on this would be interesting - and also whether Apple will try to get the Macbook to that entry Air price (or not.)

* The rest - Any detail would help, but I'm not expecting much.

There's probably more, but those are the potentially interesting angles that spring to mind.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.