No. of Recommendations: 3
It's just a way to let billing be automated. Even apples have bar-codes for pricing. Stick an apple bar-code on a banana you get a different price at checkout. If you do it yourself, that's fraud.

There is no more reason a doctor should use a wrong code than there is to make a wrong diagnosis. Now the fact that doctors don't do that themselves means an error might not be theirs (say someone transposes a couple of numbers). But presumably ALL possible diagnoses have codes, so doctors specifying the diagnosis shouldn't have much problem. It's just a way of standardizing the billing.

This would be nice if true -- but from my experience, the codes appear to actually be a way for the insurance company to refuse to pay. Dealing with that right now again -for the nth time. If it was actually as you describe a person like me who rarely sees the Dr. wouldn't have multiple instances of having issue with wrong codes from different Drs (and happening before Obamacare existed too fwiw). It has gotten way worse lately-- BUT that appears to me due to to medical offices getting bought up by 'big business' and becoming almost impossible to talk to an actual person (and labs are the WORST as they claim the code is nothing to do with them and pls pay up while you are fighting it out with insurance and Dr office).
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.