Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
It's not old. I remember when it was new. It came out in 89. That's only....ummm....yesh...

You were saying ...? I was still in the military in 1989, working as an AOCP programmer on the NATO AWACs in Geilenkirchen, Germany. (my first non-flying job since August of 1970 when I started aircrew training). The Cold War was still on, the Berlin wall was in place. We military NCOs were assigned to the Base Defense force for occasional training and exercises just in case. The GIC of the BDF was excited when he found out I actually knew which end of the rifle the bullet came out of. }};-D

We were given very worn German G3 rifles that were the perfect weapon for draftees. Anyone could make them shoot bullets, few could hit anything with them over 300 meters. The rear sight was complete garbage and couldn't be adjusted by anyone but an armorer, that was deliberate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_G3

The boss (former GSG 9 working as senior Military police on base) liked me so let me try out his MP5. Similar capabilities to our Sterling SMG with identical ammo.

Interesting times. When the Iraq war broke out in 1991 the BDF was deployed for security. The base was pretty secure in normal times but the General at the time insisted that we provide security using nearly half the BDF personal around his quarters 24/7). I have no idea the story but he suddenly got fired not long after.

Tim
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.