No. of Recommendations: 2
It's one thing to give people hope - but the President also has to be careful and responsible in how he gives people hope.

Really?

He has to choose his words carefully not to create the misimpression that there exists a treatment for the illness, or that we're close to getting to a treatment for the illness - and certainly not to get laypeople to start believing that a particular treatment that is medically necessary for other illnesses is going to be effective in treating coronavirus.

I don't believe he ever gave the impression that you should eat several grams of an aquarium cleaner that's marked "Not for human consumption" with a big orange label. Maybe we should bring Mr. Yuck back.

people who have conditions for which hydroxychloroquine has been shown to be effective (lupus, malaria, rheumatoid arthritis) can't get it. It can also get people to start diminishing the lethality of coronavirus and taking public health warnings about sheltering-in-place less seriously.

As someone who's effectively been sheltering in place for >3 weeks now (WA state was the first, mind you), I don't think that's happening.

I also don't think we've got 46 million cases of lupus or malaria currently in the United States, but I could be wrong there.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.