Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 13
It's Sunday and I'm allowed these crazy thoughts. It's a beautiful Sunday so off to a lovely walk!

The walk was nice, a bit overlong! I decided to make it an "endurance" walk instead of a "cardio" walk. There is a weekly farmer's market on Sundays that I have never explored so I put this on the schedule. Blah! I saw nothing I could not buy in the well stocked supermarkets but I did buy a grilled or BBQed baby chicken to take home. On leaving the farmer's market I saw the sign of a place I had been thinking of visiting, the "Restaurante Monte da Virgem." A new adventure!

It was a long walk uphill at the end of an already long walk. I finally discovered the highest place in Vila Nova de Gaia, the Monte da Virgem. It has a chapel or sanctuary dedicated to the virgin, closed. It has the restaurant, take out only. It has a bunch of stone tables and stone benches to sit on, heaven! It was approaching noon, lunch time! It's one of those strange coincidences when everything falls in place. The supermarket near my home has long queues near closing time so I bought stuff at the start of my walk which included bottled water and a bottle of Port wine and I usually take with me a few of the disposable plastic gloves.

Tables, BBQ chicken, lunch time. Go to it! The chicken is greasy, I have no cutlery and there are no wash-up facilities in sight. Disposable plastic gloves to the rescue! The chicken was good until I got to the breasts, dry as blotting paper! That was a good time to stop eating. The chicken breasts would be dealt with at home. Cleaned up and Port wine makes a fine desert! After lunch I explored the Monte da Virgem a bit and planned the return route, a new road to explore. The Monte da Virgem is so high that looking down you see the tops of municipal water tanks. It's so high that halfway down, looking down, you see the tops of more municipal water tanks. I finally arrived at known territory where I knew where the park benches are, a necesity for this overlong endurance walk.

Crazy thoughts?

I have the intuition that one day we'll unify quantum mechanics and complex systems, further, that quantum mechanics with its uncertainty and weirdness is the driver of complex system.

I asked Bella if she believed in telepathy. This morning my smart phone offers up

Quantum Biology: The Hidden Nature of Nature

Do smart phones do telepathy? No, but Google knows everything. Somehow it discovered my interest in quantum mechanics, complex systems, and biology. George Orwell could only dream of what Big Brother can do. Now Big Brother is doing it, at least on this occasion to our benefit. Three well versed scientists discuss the role of quantum mechanics in the evolution of life but in a language that ordinary mortals can understand. If the talk gets overlong for you, skip to 1:27:00 where you'll find a nice summation.

Quantum Biology: The Hidden Nature of Nature
Sep 17, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADiql3FG5is

Denny Schlesinger

Monte da Virgem
https://www.google.com/search?q=Monte+da+Virgem&tbm=isch...

Restaurante Monte da Virgem
https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&rls=en&sxs...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.