Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
My daughter has low platelet counts. The likely cause is that she has idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP). This is something we understand since my wife had it as a child. The doctors like to see platelet counts above 100(x1000). Her first blood test had a count of 24 and yesterday it was up to 32. The plans by the doctor is to take weekly blood tests and just monitor it. The doctor does not plan to use any treatments which often is giving the child steroids.

Soccer season is starting this coming weekend. The doctor recommends not playing. A hard shot to the stomach or head could cause internal bleeding. One problem I have not is the lack of action on the doctor's part. Soccer is very important to my daughter. I would have preferred that they try to bring her counts up through medication than just waiting.

http://www.itppeople.com/FAQChildren.htm

According to the above website, platelet counts in the 30-50 range are high enough to prevent bleeding in all but the most severe injuries. We have a difficult decision to make. Do we hold her out of soccer? If we do, do we let her go back after the next blood test if the counts are still rising? Do I insist on treatment so she can possibly start playing earlier with safe instead of marginal platelet counts?

We have decided that she isn't stopping equestrian riding. There is a lot of risk if she falls but she has reached a level where that is a rare event.

On another note, she may go on birth control pills. I bet that would be a good discussion with those posters who support pharmacists that can refuse to fill prescriptions.

PSU
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.