Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
It's a bit late for the CDs for this one, but I do have a couple more coming along.

That gives you more choice in what to do. Basically, you can only balance $3K of losses over gains against ordinary income with your taxable account. You can change the beneficiary on the 529 as the time comes to a younger child. Be sure you have a clear picture of the 529's funds at the moment.

I don't have a strategy to recommend except whatever lets you sleep at night. I have 3 who were 3 years apart in school and was most concerned about the middle one. It meant I started moving his money fall, 1998. The only thing that helped was CD rates were pretty good then but it was a very hard thing to do. However, I was very glad I had when he headed off to college.

Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.