Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
It's always good to get everything laid out in black and white. Don't be embarrassed! We're all different, especially in the standard of living we're willing to accept. Some comments:

When I talked to the money advisor, he thought that what I'm paying in interest is going back into my TSA account. I haven't checked on this, but it doesn't make sense to me. How would they make any money?

If I'm guessing right and this is a loan from a work-based retirement plan, this is how it works. When you borrow, you borrow your own money out of the plan. When you pay it back, you pay interest, but the interest is deposited into your own plan balance. They don't make money - but they shouldn't, because it was your own money you borrowed, not theirs.

I think I should keep our money until bills are paid since interest is 0%. I can earn a little bit of interest on the money in the mean time. Is there something wrong with this thinking?

Nothing at all, as long as you are disciplined enough to keep the money in an interest-bearing account rather than spending it. I've done the same thing with 0-percent credit card offers.

The only follow-up suggestion I have for you is this: once you have your e-fund in the shape you want it, think about setting some goals for investing. You can get plenty of help with that here.

dan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.