Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
It's annoying to have to check each individual account, look at the underlying investments, compare them to investments held in other accounts, etc. to make sure we're not overweight here or underweight there....

No need to overthink things here. As long are you are reasonably diversified, the weightings don't matter very much. No reason to run yourself ragged over things that are insignificant.
Your distributions look fine to me. I thought that you were invested in individual securities. Those take a lot more work to closely watch them, as opposed to index funds which you rarely need watch.

Anyway, for a convenient portfolio tool, try my.yahoo.com. You can set up separate portfolios, or you can set up one portfolio with the combined investments of each of your accounts.

It's easy to use an Excel spreadsheet. 99.9% of what you need to do is very simple to do in Excel. See if you can find a book like Excel for Dummies, and spend a couple hours with it. The remaining 0.1% would be to make Excel automatically download quotes. I've never bothered to do this, but even this isn't too hard.



...our 2 year old. She likes to run off with my Post-it notes, which contributes to the problem.

My primary record keeping system is spiral notebooks. You can buy them for 49 cents each. My notebooks have never had a data corruption from a disk crash, or a Blue Screen of Death. ;)

With the above system, I've managed a portfolio with about 300 trades a year for the last 10 years.

...retiring early. We expect to do the same.
There's nothing like looking over the financial records with your spouse, and looking up at one another and saying, "Why are we still wasting out time working, when our annual investment gains are more than our annual salaries?"

Ray
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.