Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 20
I started an organized program of weight lifting on January 16, 2005. I read here how most people who take up lifting as a New Year's resolution quit by Valentine's day. I'm still around, and there's been some newer newbies than me show up since I started.

Recap for the folks who haven't followed my history. I started lifting at the tender age of 49, with no social support or sports history. I bought equipment and lift at home, with no gym membership and no trainer. I made extensive use of internet resources and some use of books to figure out what I was doing. It can be done.

A year ago, I lifted weights that I wouldn't post because they were embarassingly low. I'll post some of them now, for comparison's sake.

The first cycle of lifts in January 2005 included:

dumbbell bench press: total of 20#, 2 sets of 15 reps
dumbbell squats: total of 30#, 2 sets of 15 reps kicked my butt
dumbbell stiff-legged deadlift: total of 40#, 2 sets of 15 groping for form
dumbbell shrugs: total of 40#, 2 sets of 15 reps working hard

The most recent cycle of lifts in January 2006 included:

bench press: 77.5#, 3 sets of 10 reps
back squats: 140#, 3 sets of 10 reps, and about ready to do 145#
Romainian deadlifts: 150#, 3 sets of 10 reps, limited by grip strength
shrugs: 135#, 3 sets of 10 reps, and about ready to do 140#
conventional deadlifts: 175#, 3 sets of 8 reps, limited by grip strength

This morning I weighed 193. I doubt I'll ever bench my weight, but I think I'll eventually squat my weight. I'm not all that far from deadlifting my weight, between advancing on the deadlift and hopefully shedding a few pounds of fat from my waist.

This won't win me any strong man awards, and might not even win me best of age class in anything, but I don't think it's too bad for a 50 year old cubicle dweller who was never a jock even in his youth.

Patzer
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.